Get your daily, bite-sized digest of cryptoasset and blockchain-related news – investigating the stories flying under the radar of today’s crypto news.
- Mastercard has launched Start Path Crypto – a global engagement program to help blockchain, crypto, and digital asset startups scale. According to an announcement, seven startups are joining Start Path: Digital Treasures Center, Fasset, Loot Bolt, Quadrata, Stable, TBTM (Take Back the Mic) Studios, and Uptop.
- Meta said that it is introducing a way for creators to make their own non-fungible tokens (NFTs) (or digital collectibles) and sell them to fans and collectors both on and off Instagram. Per the announcement, users can support creators by buying their NFTs directly within Instagram. “We’re testing these new features with a small group of creators in the US first, and hope to expand to more countries soon,” it added. “Meta is also expanding its showcasing capabilities to include video digital collectibles on Instagram and adding support for the Solana blockchain and Phantom wallet.”
- Opera announced the launch of DegenKnows.io, its new NFT analytics, tracking, and exploration tool that helps users discover, track, and verify digital collectibles. According to the press release, the Opera Crypto Browser has also integrated NEAR Protocol, Elrond, and Fantom blockchains.
- Instagram influencer Jebara Igbara, also known as ‘Jay Mazini’, pleaded guilty in federal court in the US to a three-count information charging him with wire fraud, wire fraud conspiracy, and money laundering. According to the press release, his crimes include a bitcoin (BTC) “advance fee scheme”, which he used to scam his followers.
- Entity, a growth engine for Web3 builders and investors on the Elrond Network (ERD), is now available for use by blockchain users and startup founders. According to the press release, the project was developed by Titan Stake, one of the most active staking service providers in the Elrond community, and Istari Vision, Elrond’s partner and full-service provider for projects.
- Hivemapper, a Solana (SOL)-based decentralized global mapping network that sources and creates map coverage, today announced the launch of its network and its cryptocurrency, HONEY. Drivers can now use its crypto-miner dashcam, Hivemapper Dashcam, to contribute 4K street-level imagery and earn HONEY tokens, said an announcement.
- Standard Chartered has invested in Partior, the blockchain-based payment network founded by JPMorgan, DBS Bank, and Singapore government-owned investment fund Temasek. The size of the investment has not been disclosed. Standard Chartered will serve as the first Euro settlement bank for the Partior platform, said the press release.
- Digital asset platform Bakkt Holdings has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Apex Crypto from Apex Fintech Solutions for a maximum purchase price of $200 million. Per the announcement, Bakkt will initially pay $55 million in cash and up to $45 million in Bakkt stock depending on the achievement of financial targets by Apex in Q4 2022. Up to an additional $100 million in Bakkt stock and seller notes may be paid depending on the achievement of financial targets through 2025.
- Cathie Wood’s Ark Invest bought shares in Jack Dorsey’s Block and Robinhood this week. According to its latest trade filing, Ark purchased 69,756 Block shares and 343,623 Robinhood shares on Wednesday across two funds.
- Hut 8 Mining increased its bitcoin (BTC) holdings by 299 in the period ending October 31, bringing its total self-mined holdings to BTC 8,687. 100% of the self-mined BTC in October was deposited into custody, said the report.